In this article
Updated by Work for Impact
Signing up as a freelancer on Work for Impact is quick and easy. Follow the steps below to set up your account so you can start helping impactful clients with their world-changing projects!
- Go to workforimpact.com and click "Sign Up" in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select "Start as a Freelancer."
- Enter a valid email address.
- Enter your first and last name.
- Enter a password. Your password must contain 8-20 characters, and at least one capital letter, lower-case letter, number, and special character.
- Click "Get Started" to submit your information.
Setting Up Your Profile
- After completing the steps above your account will be created and you'll be taken to your freelancer dashboard. However, we recommend setting up your profile before continuing. You'll also need to verify your skills before you can submit any proposals. To complete these steps, click the "Start Set-Up" button at the top of the page.
- After clicking the "Start Set-Up" button you'll be taken to the profile creation page. Click the "+" icon at the top of the page to upload a profile picture. Your photo should focus on your face and look professional.
- Choose a title for your profile. The title will appear at the top of your profile and should sum up your primary skills and what you have to offer clients.
- Select a category for your profile. This is the general type of work that you do.
- Select your expertise. This is the specific area that your freelance business focuses on.
- Select your English proficiency. You can also add additional languages if you wish.
- Enter your primary location and timezone.
- Enter your desired hourly rate. Keep in mind that when you apply for jobs you can enter a different hourly rate if you wish.
- Enter how many hours you're available for work each week.
- Click "Save & Continue" once you're ready to continue.
- To enter your employment history, education, impact goals, and personal goals, click the "+Add Item" buttons.
- For employment and education, select "Employment" or "Education" at the top, then enter the details of the item you'd like to enter. You can enter previous organizations you've been employed by, and any certificates, diplomas, or degrees you have completed.
- You can also enter impact goals and personal goals. Impact goals are the ways in which you want to make a positive difference, and personal goals are any other goals you have for yourself. Select "Impact" or "Personal" at the top of the screen and then enter your goal.
- Once you've entered all of your employment history, education, impact goals, and personal goals, click "Continue." You can also click "Skip" to skip to the next step and enter this information later.
Uploading Items to Your Portfolio
- To upload examples of your work to add to your portfolio, drag a file into the box at the top of the page, or click "Choose File."
- Enter a title for your portfolio item that accurately sums up the project.
- Select the skills you used while completing this project.
- Describe the project, including the various tasks you completed, how you overcame any obstacles or problems associated with the project, and anything else you'd like clients to know.
- When you're happy with the information you've entered click "Add Item."
- Once you've added an item you can add an additional item by clicking the "+Add Item" button.
- After you've uploaded all of your portfolio items click "Continue" to move on to the next step. You can also click "Skip" to skip to the next step and enter this information later.
Verifying your skills and identity
After uploading your portfolio items you'll be ready to verify your skills. Click here to learn about our skill verification process.